I hear the sound of the waves rolling in, a bird whistles somewhere deep in the jungle on the island. The sound of palm trees waving above my head and the unbelievable surroundings I’m walking in give me goosebumps even though the sweat is pearling down my face. My feet sink in the warm moist sand and make the first trail on the desolated white beach. We’re checking out the island were we have just arrived. The reflection of the bright sun in the crystal clear blue sea makes me narrow my eyes. I turn on my camera to freeze the moment, but my screen looks strange, over heated, just like me. Expedition Sipadan is being continued after the hottest part of the day.
Time flies, it’s my last year as a twenty-something and even traveling, my visa run out in a blink of an eye. But at Uma Awera Lodge the days seem to stretch longer and longer. We live by the light, getting up with sunrise and sleeping at 09:00 PM taking the pastel pink sunset skies with me in my dreams. I finally slow down.
80% of the tourists who visit Sipadan is surf tourism the other 20% go deep into the jungle on Siberut to visit the indigenous Mentawai tribe. Which leaves us -for now- alone in this crazy beautiful paradise. Desti and Didit the owners of Uma Awera Lodge are working hard to set up a sustainable recycling program for the Mentawai Islands. To keep the islands clean and inform the children at school about recycling and sustainability. Booking a trip to Uma Awera Lodge you will help us to support the program.
Coconuts for breakfast and early morning snorkel trips to the mangrove. Get a tan or catch a wave at the clean, empty waves who are also perfect -at this time of the year- for semi advanced surfer and long-boarders. Everything right in front of your traditional Indonesian beach hut, in a picture perfect vista. Meeting the true locals? Desti can help you to set up your trip to the Mentawai tribe with a Mentawai speaking guide (essential!). I lost my heart to these islands and the people. I can’t wait to come back to the best kept secret of Mentawai, Uma Awera Lodge.
Leave A Comment